Penn State Alumni Center
AIA Philadelphia Award of Recognition
2001 winner for design excellence
The Penn State Alumni Center includes renovations to the 10,000 square foot University House, built in 1864 as the President’s residence, as well as a new 30,000 square foot addition. The site, a romantic, English garden surrounded by classroom buildings, is a cherished open space on campus. The mandate from the Alumni Association was to preserve the historic house and garden while adding a new building which is both related to the old and expressive of its own times.
The program includes a 2000 square foot Council Hall that serves as a lounge for visiting alumni on a daily basis and also functions as a meeting room or banquet hall on special occasions. Other major spaces in the Center are a Reception Hall that is divisible into three conference rooms and offices for an Alumni Association staff of sixty people. In addition to full architectural services, the project involved programming, site survey, interior and signage design.